How much does it cost to fix a gouged wooden dresser?
Fixing a gouged wooden dresser can be an expensive endeavor, especially if you decide to hire a professional to do the job for you. Professional furniture repair services can cost anywhere from $50 to $150 per hour, depending on the extent of the damage and the location of the repair. In addition to the hourly rate, you may also be charged for materials, such as wood putty and paint.
Coconix repair kits are the best choice!
On the other hand, with the Coconix Floor and Furniture Repair Kit, you can easily fix a gouged wooden dresser yourself, saving you a significant amount of money in the process. Not only will you save money on labor costs, but you will also have the satisfaction of knowing that you were able to fix the dresser yourself. Plus, the kit comes with all the materials you need to complete the repair, so you don't have to worry about additional costs. So, if you're looking to save money and take on a fun DIY project, the Coconix Floor and Furniture Repair Kit is the perfect solution for fixing your gouged wooden dresser.
The repair process may seem overwhelming at first glance, but it is actually considered to be a straightforward task. With a little bit of attention to detail, you can complete it with ease. Just be sure to take your time and follow the instructions step by step, and you will be able to accomplish this task with minimal difficulty.
The time required for this repair will depend on the size and severity of the gouge on your dresser. In general, it can take anywhere from a few hours to a full day. But trust us, it's worth the wait to have your dresser looking like new again.
Sandpaper (if needed)
Preparing the Area
- Carefully remove any paint chips or wood splinters from the damaged area. Use a small brush to clean the crack.
- Clean the area and remove any debris.
- Wipe down the area with a damp cloth and let it dry thoroughly.
Filling the Gap
- For gouges larger than 1/4 of an inch, use the wood putty to fill the gouged area of the dresser.
- Cut off the required amount of wood putty and knead it until it becomes a uniform color.
- Apply the putty within 2 minutes after kneading. Press the putty firmly until curing is noticeable. Do not leave a bulge.
- For a smooth surface, rub the area with a damp cloth prior to hardening. After 1 hour, the wood putty can be sanded, tapped, and drilled.
Matching the Color
- If your repair requires a custom color, refer to the Color Mixing Guide found in the kit to match the color of the gouged wooden dresser and prepare the mixture in the empty mixing jar
Applying the Repair Compound
- Apply the repair compound to the damaged area. Start by applying it along the edges of the gouge and work your way towards the center to avoid air bubbles.
- Use the spatula for larger applications and the brush for surface applications and detail touch-ups.
- Smooth out the surface and wipe off the excess with a paper towel.
Drying and Additional Layers
- Allow several hours for the repair compound to dry until it is no longer sticky to the touch.
- If needed, apply additional layers until the repaired area is level with the surrounding area.
Adding Texture (optional)
- If your wood has grain patterns, designs, or texture, you can recreate them using the small brush and dark colors like Walnut, Mahogany and Black.
And that's it, folks! Your gouged wooden dresser has been successfully repaired and is ready for use. Show off your handy work to your friends and family next time they come over. Don't forget to visit coconix.com/resources for more tips and tricks on furniture repairs. Happy repairing! Remember to handle your dresser with care and avoid placing heavy items on it as it may get gouged again. With proper care and maintenance, your dresser will last for years to come. Enjoy your newly repaired dresser and the satisfaction of a job well done!
One Repair Leads to Another
In addition to the Coconix Floor and Furniture Repair Kit, the Coconix brand also offers the Fabric and Carpet Repair Kit and the Leather and Vinyl Repair Kit. These kits are perfect for tackling other repair projects around your home.
The Fabric and Carpet Repair Kit is perfect for repairing holes, tears, and burns in your carpets, rugs, and upholstery. It includes a variety of colors of fabric and carpet repair compound and detailed instructions for easy use. This kit is great for repairing damages caused by pets, kids, or general wear and tear.
The Leather and Vinyl Repair Kit is ideal for repairing scratches, cuts, and holes in leather and vinyl furniture, car interiors, and clothing. It includes a variety of colors of leather and vinyl repair compound, along with detailed instructions and tools for easy use. This kit is great for restoring the look and feel of your leather and vinyl items, giving them a new lease on life.
Both the Fabric and Carpet Repair Kit and the Leather and Vinyl Repair Kit are easy to use and come with detailed instructions for achieving professional-looking results. Whether you're a homeowner, renter, or a professional, these repair kits are a must-have for your toolbox. With Coconix, you can tackle any repair project with confidence and ease.
See what people are saying!
To refurbish an old dresser that was full of nicks, scratches and scrapes, I purchased a Coconix Floor and Furniture Repair Kit. It was very easy to use, the instructions were excellent, and the result was miraculous. Unfortunately I did not think to take before and after photos. Suffice it to say, the dresser looks 100% better. I would definitely recommend this product and this company.